Alaska State Chamber of Commerce issued the following announcement on Dec. 11.
The Alaska Chamber, the state chamber for Alaska representing nearly 800 organizations that employ over 100,000 hard-working Alaskans, is seeking to add a Vice President to our team. The Chamber’s mission is to promote a healthy business environment in Alaska.
The ideal candidate must possess a bachelor’s degree and 5+ years' experience, preferably but not limited to the government affairs and business operations, or a combination of education and experience. Experience in the legislative arena, state and federal level preferred.
Job Title: Vice President
Reports to: President and CEO
FLSA Status: Exempt
Position Status: Full Time
Purpose of Position: The Vice President of the Alaska Chamber is responsible for a wide range of duties and responsibilities including, but not limited to:
- Assist the President and CEO on legislative matters.
- Monitor and analyze relevant legislative activity as it pertains to the Chamber.
- Assist in developing and implementing strategy for advancing the Chamber’s policy goals.
- Maintain positive relationships with key decision-makers in the legislative and executive branches of government.
- Draft correspondence related to legislation, regulations, and actions taken by the federal and state government.
- Testify in committee hearings representing the position of the Alaska Chamber when necessary.
- Assist Alaska Chamber team when developing communication strategies in relation to advocacy issues.
- Provide administrative support for the finance committee including taking minutes, preparing and sending meeting materials as assigned.
- Support the Legislative Affairs Committee in their efforts to provide counsel and subject matter expertise on legislative issues.
- Assist the Alaska Chamber team when preparing and sending meeting materials for the executive committee and board.
- Manage the financial and business planning activities, including:
- Conduct business policies and accounting practices;
- Prepare and/or analyze financial reports;
- Perform the day to day financial duties for the Alaska Chamber, handling receipts, deposits, invoices, etc.;
- Support and advise the President and CEO in decision making; and
- Support organizational decision-making.
- Oversee reporting and monitoring of organizational performance metrics.
- Provide overall financial oversight and monitoring.
- Ensure that relevant financial data is presented to the President and CEO, Finance and Executive Committees, and Board of Directors when necessary.
- Manage and oversee the human resource function, including:
- Benefits administration and oversight;
- Regulatory oversight and legal compliance;
- Assist the President and CEO in:
- Recruitment, hiring, and compensation;
- Professional training and development, including new employee orientation; and
- Retention strategies.
- Represents the Alaska Chamber in meetings and events in the absence of the President and CEO.
- Oversee day-to-day operations of the office of the Alaska Chamber in the absence of the President and CEO.
- Information technology – ensure the ongoing maintenance and updating of information systems and infrastructure, including hardware and software.
- Supervise the hourly employees of the Alaska Chamber.
- Serve as the Administrative Manager as defined in the Alaska Chamber Employee Handbook.
- Experience in the legislative arena, whether at the state or federal level.
- Strong writing and oratory skills appropriate for advocacy efforts.
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with staff, committees, government leaders, and business associations in a professional manner.
- Ability to express ideas confidently, clearly and concisely while speaking publicly and conducting interviews.
- Able to provide motivation, support and direction to staff and volunteers.
- Creative problem-solving ability is essential.
- Ability to think independently and creatively.
- Ability to master the use of a variety of office machines and equipment including a computer, calculator, copier, telephone and fax machine.
- Ability to organize and prioritize tasks as well as meet deadlines.
- Must be able to travel to attend meetings and Alaska Chamber functions as required (in and out of state if necessary).
- Ability to perform tasks diligently with minimal guidance or supervision.
- Must be able to lift 40 lbs.
Open until filled.
Please submit resume and cover letter to email@example.com. Only candidates being considered will be contacted.
The Alaska Chamber is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Curtis W. Thayer, President and CEO
Original source can be found here.